Are you aware that most cavities are a result of poor eating habits? Cavities are an oral health disorder caused by the destruction of the tooth enamel. When the tooth enamel has worn down to the point that a hole results, it is known as a cavity. Ingredients in food such as sugars, as well as acidic foods are known to lead to enamel erosion, and in turn, cavities. Cavity prevention begins with the following guidelines:
– When brushing and flossing, always use cleaning utensils that have been approved by your dentist or feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Consider using an alternative dental cleanser for your teeth after meals, such as sugarless gum, mouthwash, or a water flosser.
– Implement and maintain a healthy diet filled with nutritious foods and drinks.
– Schedule and attend your bi-annual professional cleanings from your dentist.
– Plan your oral hygiene routine effectively by brushing your teeth twice daily and flossing at least once daily.
– Stay away from foods that can linger in your mouth long after eating them, as they can leave you susceptible to cavities. Hazardous cavity-promoting foods include sticky snacks, chewy sweets, or gummy treats.
Are you in need of a dentist in Melrose, Massachusetts? No matter the needs you require from your smile, our team at Solomon & Wright Associates, P.C. can help. Dr. David Solomon and our team can give you a comprehensive oral examination to determine which cavity treatment or prevention plan is best for you and your oral health care needs. To schedule a visit to our dentist office, call us at 781-665-5222. We look forward to helping you soon!