What to Do If You Swallow Mouthwash

Posted .

Mouthwash is a great oral hygiene tool that can help you reach your smile and oral health goals. As you use the product, it’s best to follow the instructions for the best results possible and also avoid swallowing it. Now, sometimes the rinse is accidentally swallowed. If this happens to you, our dentist, Dr. David Solomon, is happy to tell you what to expect and what to do after the accident.

If you have only swallowed a small amount of mouthwash, there is no need to panic or worry. You might not experience any side effects or you might experience a little bit of nausea and diarrhea. These symptoms will pass in a couple days. It’s important to make a goal for yourself to not swallow the mouthwash again. If you need to, block out all distraction while you’re rinsing. You can do so by closing the bathroom door, locking it, and maybe even putting some headphones on and listening to music.

If you have swallowed a dangerous amount of mouthwash, you need to check the product’s label to see if it has potentially poisonous ingredients (fluoride or ethanol). If it does, call the National Poison Control Center for help. You can reach them at 1-800-222-1222. In severe cases, please make a trip to the Emergency Room. All in all, the symptoms you are likely to experience include dizziness, drowsiness, and even trouble breathing. If the case is dangerous, you might even experience convulsions or slip into a coma.

To learn more about what to do if you swallow mouthwash in Melrose, Massachusetts, please call Solomon & Wright Associates, P.C. at 781-665-5222 today. Our dental team is here to help you, and we look forward to your phone call!