There are two major types of dental fillings our dentists at Solomon & Wright Associates, P.C. often use to fight cavities: metal-based fillings and resin-based composite fillings. Both come with a variety of perks that can be suited to your needs and the severity of your cavity. Typically, composite fillings work better on small cavities that amalgams cannot reach. Conversely, amalgams tend to last longer on larger cavities. Other perks of each include:
Advantages of composite fillings:
- Can be matched to the color of your teeth.
- Can be repaired multiple times without having to remove the original filling.
- Can last from seven to ten years.
- Do not contain mercury.
- More preventative to a tooth fracture.
- Do not leak like an amalgam filling can.
Advantages of amalgam fillings:
- Are typically more affordable.
- Easier and quicker for the dentist to place.
- Have a 150-year track record of quality and reliability.
If you think you may have a cavity, our dental team is happy to help. To set up an appointment, we invite you to call our caring staff at 781-665-5222, or stop by our office in Melrose, Massachusetts. at Solomon & Wright Associates, P.C. we are excited to restore your beautiful smile just in time for the holidays. From our dental family to yours, we wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!